Sunday, July 6

Book Review: Secrets of the Rock Star Programmers

Not many secrets revealed in this book, more-so just a collection of formulaic interviews. The author sits down with a little over a dozen industry celebrities and presents them with a thematic collection of questions, which are conveniently cataloged and charted by interview in an appendix. Admittedly I didn't know half the subjects in the book - I knew of their accomplishments, their companies, their products, but this was my first exposure to the people behind the curtain. The author peppers each interview with side notes comparing and contrasting one subject's response with another's - I liked that. It kept things more grounded to see that even though some two guys are considered experts in their field and they both speak very authoritatively, they completely disagree on some matters, reminding the reader that some topics are quite subjective and simply a matter of opinion or personal experience and not necessarily the law of the jungle. The questions asked and the people selected for the asking weren't entirely my cup of tea, but I enjoy a good interview with a smart person as much as the next programming geek, so I would recommend this book. My only major gripe is that it's not available in e-book form; I would have gladly paid for a digital copy but instead had to borrow the dead-tree version from the local library.

No comments: