Sunday, November 4

The Circle of Life

I do not work at the same place today as I did eight years ago... or do I?


Eight years ago I had my own office with a beautiful view.

Today I have my own office with a beautiful view.


Eight years ago that office view included the corner of the building where the smokers hung out.

Today my office view includes the corner of the building where the smokers congregate.


Eight years ago I was the last remaining founder in the company.

Today I am the last remaining founder in the company (which is now a mere "division" of a bigger company due to acquisition).


Eight years ago I had a prestigious title (Chief Architect) that was more a symbol of tenure than any real authority.

Today I have a prestigious title (Vice President of Development) that is more a symbol of tenure than any real authority.


Eight years ago I was considered by my peers to be the most reliable, productive, and knowledgeable technical resource in the organization, due mainly to the fact that I had been there the longest and understood the system more thoroughly than anyone else.

Ditto today.


Eight years ago I spent all day every day in back to back meetings.

Guess what I do today? Same.


Eight years ago I was the guy everybody came to for answers... but oddly enough those answers were disregarded because they "didn't have time to do it right", and so I sat there helplessly watching the ship sink.

Today? You guessed it.


Eight years ago I decided that the salary and stock simply weren't worth the frustration of being a disconnected cog in a broken machine, so I resigned and helped found a new company.

Today... I'm seeing the circle of life come back around.

No comments: