Thursday, August 14

Top 3 ways I stay on top of Rails

Rails has been an off-hours hobby of mine for the last three years (and one month, to be exact). Since I get so precious little time to work with it each day, I need my Rails juice in quick and concentrated doses, and here's how I get it:

#3 What's New in Edge Rails over at Ryan's Scraps. When the fancy new features get added, Ryan gives you the straight dope, no fluff.

#2 Railscasts by Ryan Bates. Nothing gets the point across better than seeing somebody actually do it. Ryan serves up quick little screencast hors d’oeuvres demonstrating The Right Way to handle a multitude of Rails-related tasks, from development to deployment to testing to documentation.

#1 Reading Jack Danger's commit diffs on GitHub. I have the distinct pleasure of overseeing a (private, sorry, no links) project on which Jack is the lead developer. Jack's commits are always clean and concise bite-size chunks of refactorings or new functionality and his commit messages are always descriptive and explanatory, none of this "fixed stuff" or "made changes" crap that drives me bonkers. Reading his commits are like paging through a book entitled "Step by Step Rails Development, The Right Way, By Example." By far, watching the code of another more-seasoned developer evolve over time has taught me the most about good Rails coding.

2 comments:

Gregg said...

Sniff.. Sniff... No Rails Envy Podcast... I'm crushed..

Teflon Ted said...

If I had done a top 4 list, Rails Envy would have been there :-)