Friday, January 19

I'm back! Did you miss me?

The last six months have been rather tumultuous career wise. Long story short: my little company was bought by a bigger company and I was technically demoted from Chief Technology Officer (of the little company) to Vice President of Development (of the bigger company) which ironically resulted in more pay and more projects and more employees underneath me, but less stake in the company, and the icing on the cake is that the bigger company still has nobody filling the Chief Technology Officer position so I’m “acting” as that role. Sigh.

But that’s not the reason I’m writing today. A couple weeks ago an old friend of mine e-mailed me out of the clear blue sky. This is the entrepreneur friend that started my last two companies, including the one that just sold to a bigger company, and two more companies after that with which I wasn’t involved. Basically, this guy has the Midas touch. He’s got an idea for yet another company. He pitched it to me, and I liked it, and it’s relatively simple from both a technological and management perspective, so we’re going to play with it and see where it goes.

And what, pray tell, first crossed my mind when the thought of implementation arose? Why Ruby on Rails of course! And what perfect timing as version 1.2 was just released yesterday!

But I had one little road block. I have a plethora of computers around my house, but half of them are far too old and decrepit for development and the other half are owned by my current employer, so I had to get me a new machine for my new endeavor. It’s the law of the jungle that any Rails developer worth his salt has to work on OSX, so yesterday afternoon I ordered myself a refurbished 15-inch Core2 Duo MacBook Pro, and this morning Apple e-mailed me to tell me it had shipped. This will be replacing, or supplementing, my company-issued three-year-old Dell Inspiron. I’m giddy with anticipation.

Once I start getting back into the nitty gritty of Rails development, I expect I’ll be posting here again quite regularly with my rants and raves and trials and tribulations.

No comments: